My Southern Living at Home...»

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Military wife

**I did not write this. It was e-mailed to me. This is for those of you who have said to me "Oh I could never be away from my husband. I just love him too much".**

I AM A MILITARY WIFE! My husband is currently deployed; he'll be gone for a while, and so far I am getting by. I long for the day of his return. I am a military wife. I hold no formal recognition with the powers that be; I am at the bottom of the chain. I hold only a Military ID card; I am a dependent. The man I love may face unspeakable dangers, and I am at the mercy of those who possess this recognition for news. I understand this and accept this. I am a military wife. I have promised to be here for him upon his return, no matter how long he is away. People may say I am insane for making such a commitment with no guarantees, but I hold onto our promises and have faith that he will come home safe to me. I know full well that my love for him fuels him in the worst of times. I am a military wife. I hope every day that he will be able to call because a simple 30-second phone call can bring the greatest spectrum of emotions-- smiling with tears in my eyes from so much joy and pain. Our relationship is based on a brief communication where 'I love you and I'm okay' speaks more than volumes and gives me the strength to keep going. I am a military wife. I take no moment spent together for granted. I hold onto every touch, caress, kiss, every word. I have memorized the feel of his skin, his smell, the sound of his voice, and I play it over and over in my mind so that I will not forget. I cry myself to sleep some nights because missing him hurts so badly, but wake up the next morning, brush myself off, and start a new day. I am a military wife.